IS MY BUSINESS ELIGIBLE?
Your company can be considered for Technology Assessment funding if it:
- Is manufacturer-based (involved in operations to produce or support products/services related to manufacturing, processing, fabricating, or refining)
- Is based in Southern Ontario per the census map
- Has greater than 15 and fewer than 500 full-time (FTE) employees maximum in Southern Ontario
- Is an incorporated business (federally or provincially) for 2 years or more continuously
- Is demonstrability financial stable
- And, is not receiving other contributions toward the activities contained in the funding application from other government-funded programs, including but not limited to University or College funding programs; export funding programs; other related government funding programs
Companies are not required to be a member of CME to be eligible.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR FUNDING IF I WANT TO ASSESS A SPECIFIC ISSUE IN MY BUSINESS?
Technology Assessments can focus on areas such as:
- Process flow
- Quality (for example, ISO Certification)
- Waste reduction
- Environmental impact (various green certifications)
- Energy efficiency (production level)
- Information and management systems
Any assessments that have been previously completed by the applicant are not eligible.
WHAT DOES MY APPLICATION NEED TO INCLUDE?
Eligible companies must provide:
- A signed copy of a proposal from a Qualified Service Provider (QSP) authorized by CME: The proposal must outline the assessment process, clearly articulating the areas of consideration and opportunities for improvement, recommendations, and a description of how results will be measured.
- A proposed budget: The budget should provide a detailed breakdown of costs including time, travel, reporting, etc. All service provider invoices will need to clearly outline the services provided. Line item descriptions such as “services rendered” will not be accepted.
WHAT IF I FORGOT IMPORTANT INFORMATION?
CME will review the application and provide feedback on any missing documentation or where clarification is required. Missing information will delay the response time.
WILL MY INFORMATION REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL?
All CME staff and contractors involved in the application review and selection process are covered by a strict confidentiality and conflict of interest agreement.
Click here to download a copy of the CME Code of Conduct.
CAN I PICK ANY EXPERT TO COMPLETE MY ASSESSMENT?
Your assessment must be undertaken by an approved CME Qualified Service Provider (QSP). If you have an existing relationship with an expert who is not yet CME-approved, they can apply to be added to our list of QSPs. Internal experts are not eligible.
I APPLIED, WHAT'S NEXT?
Each technology assessment application will be given a fair evaluation based on the information provided by the applicant. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that all relevant information is provided. Applicants will be evaluated based on their ability to meet the following criteria:
- Technology improvements that aim to improve and modernize the manufacturing process, leading to increased productivity and competitiveness.
- New additions that contribute to the economic and environmental benefits to Ontario, including benefits expected from the project and interactions with other segments of the Ontario economy.
- Commitment to develop export markets, or be part of the value supply chain, or potential to become a strong global player on a regional or global basis.
- Creation of long-term employment and high-value jobs.
As a general guideline, applications will be reviewed within a 45-business day time frame. Missing information can delay the response time.
IS MY BUSINESS LOCATED IN AN ELIGIBLE AREA?
CAN MY BUSINESS QUALIFY FOR MORE THAN ONE ASSESSMENT?
No, only one assessment can be funded per company.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE ASSESSMENT?
Assessments must be completed within 90 days of approval notification. If an extension is required, contact your CME representative and provide a written document stating the reason for the delay, along with the new requested timeline for the assessment.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY COMPANY IS SELECTED?
CME will contact approved applicants and provide a copy of the Contribution Agreement (contract). Upon signed contract, CME will facilitate a connection between the applicant and their qualified service provider. The two must set a date to conduct an initial assessment in order to submit a project proposal. The submitted proposal will be reviewed by a panel of reviewers after which the applicant will be notified if the proposal is approved or not. All approved proposals will receive an authorization to proceed letter. The applicant must then contact their QSP and set a date to start the assessment.
WHAT COSTS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT?
- Consulting fees (including travel) are eligible.
- Entertainment and meals are not eligible costs.
- All receipts for travel must be submitted with final claim. Any receipts that are not included will be removed from eligible costs.
- CME reserves the right to remove any unreasonable costs.
HOW DO THE FINANCIALS WORK?
Once the assessment is complete, and all of the assessment expenses have been paid in full by the company, you are ready to report these expenses to CME for reimbursement. Templates of applications and reports are available under Tools. You can also contact your CME representative and ask for necessary forms to submit your reimbursement claim.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO APPLY?
Applications will be accepted until December 2021. However, with limited funding available, funds will be distributed on a first approved, first funded basis. To secure your funds, apply today.