Manufacturing Innovates for tomorrow
Manufacturing BC’s Future > Manufacturing Makes our Communities > Manufacturing Drives BC’s Economy > More Skilled Jobs in BC
RAPID INNOVATION DRIVES ECONOMIC GROWTH
British Columbia’s manufacturers are innovating rapidly both in terms of the products we create and the processes we use.
These technologies are changing the way companies design and make the products and how consumers use and interact with them. It is manufacturing innovation that allows us to add value to our natural resources.
BC’s technological innovations in manufacturing range from mining wheels, to food processing, to biotechnology. It is through innovation that manufacturing can lead BC’s recovery from the COVID-19 crisis and drive growth and prosperity into the future.
WHAT CANADIANS THINK ABOUT INNOVATION IN THE MANUFACTURING SECTOR
- 90% of Canadians think the sector is a leader in adopting new technologies and processes after learning more about the sector.
- 88% of Canadians think the sector is a significant developer or new technology products and services after learning more about the sector.
- 82% of Canadians recognize the manufacturers invest more in research, development, and innovation than any other sector.
Innovation and commercialization of new products will create the high-skilled, high-paying jobs that BC wants and will make sure we are ready for tomorrow. Government policy needs to support these innovations and, allow manufacturers to attract the right people quickly.
Here are 3 steps government can take to help BC manufacturers drive innovation:
- Use government procurement to encourage research and development, commercialization, and business scale-up.
- Introduce investment support programs to help our manufacturing sector make the capital investments that drive tech adoption, improve environmental performance, engage in employee training, and scale-up.
- Expand the development and upgrading of natural resources through improved, clear, and simple regulatory processes.
SPOTLIGHT ON MANUFACTURERS
Find out about manufacturers who are driving innovation.
Location: Delta, BC
Several industries rely on critical, time sensitive products manufactured and exported by SEI’s 48,000 sq. ft manufacturing facility, including wildfire management, military, aviation, oil and gas, mining, remote construction and environmental spill and disaster response.