If you are interested to apply for a position, we welcome you to send your cover letter and resume to the attention of our HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to volume, only those shortlisted will be contacted regarding the position.
Manager, Environment and Energy Policy - Ottawa / Montreal
Who We Are
Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters is the trade association representing Canada’s manufacturing industry. For more than 150 years, CME has been the voice and champion of manufacturers. Our industry is the corner stone of the Canadian economy and represents 10 percent of Canada’s GDP, two-thirds of our goods exports, and 1.7 million high paying jobs across Canada. https://cme-mec.ca/
CME’s Guiding Principles:
- Integrity and Trust.
Position Summary: The Manager, Environment and Energy Policy will be CME’s expert on all files relating to environmental, net-zero, and energy policy. The position will cover federal policy files pertaining to environmental regulation and any other policy area with provincial/federal crossover that would have an impact on the manufacturing sector. As a key member of CME’s national policy team, the successful candidate will show initiative by identifying and researching priority issues, creating substantive issue positions, supporting the work of the national policy group, advocate with federal and provincial governments, and working with members to support their activities in these areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies, prioritizes and monitors all environmental, energy, and industrial policy;
- Proactively works within the national policy team on regulatory matters and supports their priority activities in these areas;
- Works with members and stakeholders directly to understand the impacts of environmental and energy policies on their business;
- Effectively communicates the impacts of policy and regulatory changes;
- Identifies policy and regulatory solutions on issues, and contributes to government submissions;
- Builds and maintains relations with all relevant government officials related to core files;
- Supports the growth of CME membership and member services; and
- Other duties as required
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in related field;
- Minimum 2-4 years of relevant experience;
- Passionate about public policy and advocating policy solutions that benefit government, industry, workers, and the public
- Excellent researching, writing, and communications skills
- Strong understanding of government structure and operations;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian economy, as well as issues, trends and policy developments that impact the manufacturing industry;
- Ability to work in a dynamic and flexible environment. Candidate must be self-motivating and equally comfortable managing projects independently or as part of a team; and
- Be a registered lobbyist, or meet the criteria to become a registered lobbyist
- Experience working with an industry trade association considered an asset
- Experience working with the manufacturing sector considered an asset
- Bilingualism (English, French) is an asset.
Reports To: Senior Director, Policy and Government Relations
Travel: Inter-Provincial and National travel may be required on occasion.
Location and Work: Hybrid, Ottawa, Montreal
CME IS GREAT PLACE TO WORK® CERTIFIED
CME is proud to be certified as a Great Place to Work® after a thorough and independent analysis conducted by Great Place to Work® Institute Canada. This certification is based on direct feedback from employees. CME looks forward to working with staff on continuously improving its workplace culture and is committed to leading the manufacturing sector in fostering inclusion and diversity in the manufacturing sector with initiatives like Women in Manufacturing.