Your health and safety is our priority. CME’s Made Safe Ontario is focused on building a safer workplace across Ontario through the delivery of health and safety services designed specifically for the needs of the manufacturing work environment.
Made Safe Ontario makes it easier for manufacturers to ensure a healthy, safe, and productive work environment. A solid health and safety program not only keeps workers safe, it further reduces business costs with improved productivity.
Made Safe Ontario is your go-to resource for:
- Ensure your voice is heard. CME advocates on the issues that impact you most to create safer workplaces and save you money
- Training and events (public, onsite and virtual customized workshops offered)
- Group resources that offer health and safety standards, policies, and procedures
- Health & Safety Excellence Program (HSEP)
- CME is an approved provider of the WSIB HSEP which rewards businesses that incorporate safety measures into their daily practices
- Over the past year, CME HSEP members have received $1.8 million back in rebates.
- Monthly virtual training sessions are available. For more information, please contact us.
- Access to our dedicated Safety Specialist who has more than 30 years of experience helping manufacturers of all sizes in union and non-unionized workplaces
- Member savings on health and safety programs and services from our trusted partners
- Health and Safety Management System (Program) development and implementation
- Health and Safety Legislative Compliance Audits (Federal and Provincial)
- ISO45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) training and consulting
- Access to Industrial Hygiene Services
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS EXPERTISE
We are your eyes and ears on all government policies. Our Director of Workplace Safety has more than 30 years-experience advocating on behalf of members.
CME staff analyzes and educates members on ongoing health and safety changes in government policies, programs, and regulations to make sure you have the latest intelligence to help you create safer workplaces.
CME has cultivated a very good working relationship with the WSIB, allowing CME to save our members money. Our approach has always been to ensure that our members’ concerns are heard and that we offer constructive feedback on proposed changes or new initiatives being considered.
WSIB Deferred Premium Payments
- Action: While the world-wide pandemic had detrimental impact on production and exporting of manufactured goods. CME lobbied the WSIB to highlight the serious financial stress that would be imposed on our members should the WSIB require the ongoing payment of employers’ monthly WSIB premiums.
- Result: CME achieved the desired result for our members when the WSIB agreed to defer premium payments for the months of April to August premiums. This action allowed employers to reinvest their revenues to keep their operations running.
WSIB Deferred Payments Repayment
- Action: While the WSIB deferred employer premiums until the end of August, repayment obligations of those deferred payments were announced by the WSIB. CME again lobbied the WSIB to spread out the deferred premium payments to not negatively impact employers during a very short fall economic recovery period.
- Result: CME once again succeeded in getting results for our members when the WSIB agreed to not collect any outstanding premium payments until January 2021, and to extend the repayment period until June 30, 2021.
WSIB 2020 Premium Rates
- Action: CME argued to the WSIB that employers will continue to experience the financial stressors of COVID-19 well into 2021 and cannot afford to have further financial stressors imposed during what will already be a challenging recovery year in 2021.
- Result: CME is happy to report that the WSIB agreed to freeze the 2021 employer premium rates at the 2020 rate. In 2021, employers will continue to pay the same WSIB premium rate as was paid in 2020.
WSIB New Rate Framework Transition
- Action: While the WSIB was set to move employers closer to their new WSIB premiums under the New Rate Framework, CME advocated for a pause on the transition to the new premium rates until 2022.
- Result: CME is pleased to announce that the WSIB has agreed to defer the transition to the new Rate Framework until January 2022. This will allow employers additional time to improve their claims accidents cost experience and lost time frequency rates in order to reduce their rates under the new Rate Framework.
CME will always be the strong voice of reason for its members.
HEALTH AND SAFETY TRAINING
Made Safe Ontario offers the below courses through virtual webinars and onsite workshops:
- Ontario Health and Safety Law for Managers and Supervisors – 1 day
- Federal Health and Safety Law for Managers and Supervisors – 1 day
- Conducting Effective Accident/Incident Investigation – 1 day
- How to Carry Out a Workplace Health and Safety Inspection – ½ day
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) – ½ day
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment & Control Measures – ½ day
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to the support of the Ontario government, CME is offering the following health & safety workshops free of charge:
- Ontario Health and Safety Law for Managers and Supervisors
- Conducting Effective Accident/Incident Investigation
- How to Carry Out a Workplace Health and Safety Inspection
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
To learn more, please contact John Rodic, CME Program Manager at email@example.com.
HEALTH AND SAFETY EXCELLENCE PROGRAM
The Health and Safety Excellence program is a WSIB performance-based rewards program that provides a clear road map for Ontario businesses to improve workplace health and safety.
Whether you are just getting started or want to optimize systems and processes you already have in place, the Excellence program can help you reach your goals.
Participants can earn both financial and non-financial rewards and create safer workplaces.
PARTNER MEMBER SAVINGS PROGAM
As a member of CME Made Safe Ontario you will benefit from the best products and services at the best prices, including:
- Sherrard Kuzz LLP: CME Ontario members are entitled to one free phone-consultation, once per year, to a maximum of 15 minutes. This consultation can be used to seek information about any employment or labour issue related to your organization.
- Mark’s Work Wearhouse – Discounts on everything in store: CME is pleased to partner with Mark’s to offer you AND your employees a special discount of 10% off everything in store.