See How CME Helped Last Year
CME AT WORK: GETTING MANUFACTURERS THE WORKERS THEY NEED
Labour and skills shortages are the most pressing challenges facing manufacturers today. CME is working to expand the labour pool; improve education programs; and lower the cost of on-the-job training.
Manufacturing Canada's Future: An Industrial Strategy - Policy Recommendations
To help ease labour and skills shortages, governments should:
- Modernize Canada’s immigration and temporary foreign worker programs to ensure manufacturers have access to a talent pool with the knowledge, skills, and abilities they need to grow and thrive
- Address Canada’s housing shortage to ensure affordable housing near manufacturing jobs, mandate modular construction to help meet housing targets, and avoid encroachment on industrial lands
- Provide employer-led training benefits, including a 50 per cent tax credit that offsets half the costs of employee training
- Refocus Canada’s education system to connect more youth to manufacturing and skilled trades jobs
- Renew and increase funding for programs that encourage more members of underrepresented groups to seek a career in manufacturing 6. Reform the Employment Insurance (EI) system to encourage labour force participation and labour mobility 7. Increase incentives to encourage the adoption and integration of automation technology
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR:
COMMITTEES & NETWORKS
CME facilitates opportunities for manufacturers to learn from each other, work with each other, and grow together through committees, peer councils, special interest groups and B2B networking opportunities. More than 3,000 manufacturers participated in our networks last year alone.
IN YOUR PROVINCE
CME works wherever you are – with regional chapters in every province, championed by local manufacturers just like you. This multi-pronged approach has provided us with the credibility to confidently speak as the voice of manufacturing in Canada We’re excited to provide you with the latest news, events, resources, and initiatives for your region.
PROGRAMS & SERVICES
Labour and skills shortages are the most pressing challenges facing manufacturers today. Through our many programs and services devoted to workforce development, CME helps manufacturers attract, retain and engage talent. We are also working to expand the labour pool; improve education programs; and lower the cost of on-the-job training.